Jan 29, 2015

modus operandi

I hope to post about what I'm reading and writing in an effort to think through it. 

I am interested in the concept of a mental model, or a systematic framework by which a person organizes and interprets the world. 

I am also interested in: the survivorship bias and other fallacies, stoicism and practical philosophy, the history of science and technology, the rise and future of information technology, science fiction, futurology, graphic design, evolution (in particular apes, birds, and the social insects), and patterns in nature, and our mind's tendency to find or create these patterns i.e. thought as analogy.

The way I approach all of this is through my own mental model of selective processing and archiving. This blog is an extension of that because I believe that we write entirely to find out what we're thinking (1). Organization, productivity, self-help, mindfulness, and reading and writing in general are then more practical skills I hope to cultivate in pursuit of this ideal.

This blog is then more of a practice at solidifying my thoughts, rather than an end product. At best it's only a record of my attempts. I hope to post reading lists and book reviews from time to time. I will be the sole owner of this blog, but I welcome guest posts. If you would like to talk email me in the sidebar. My graphic design portfolio is always available in the sidebar if you're looking for that.

References:
(1) "I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." --Joan Didion

Formatting:
Because the internet is incredibly fast and accessible, it has a great potential for distraction. While links are integral to anything interesting, I'll try my best to signify them with numbers which correspond to endnotes, as shown above. This has the added benefit of being easily searchable, for me and for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment